Thursday, June 16, 2011

Rules found?

As anyone who follows this blog will know, I've officially tried every wargames ruleset for Renaissance. Every single one. And I haven't been satisfied completely with any of them. I have a large collection of minis that have rarely seen battle, except in play test.
I like what I saw and played with Black Powder, so I ordered Hail Caesar! by the same folks. Though similar, there are some significant differences, as there should be.
I'm excited to try out HC! not for ancients, but for my long suffering Italian Wars minis. I think the rules will work for simple the reason that Renaissance thinkers had not only rediscovered classical art, but classical warfare. Many a general was trying recreate the armies of Rpme and Alexander. What are Swiss pikemen, but the Macedonians phalanxes of old?
Only gaming this out will see. I will keep everyone posted.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

let's hope you'll find what you expect.

Ray Rousell said...

I use Age of Discovery, have you tried them?

BaronVonJ said...

Oh yes, AoD. Who wants to keep track of how many guys in the front row are left with armor, amongst other things. I found it clunky.
-J

Bill said...

Sounds like fun. I am going to order the rules this weekend.

Essjam said...

I'm in! Can't wait to see your little beauties on the field of battle.