Monday, August 20, 2012

20 Angry Questions with the Baron

Thanks to Mik and Angry Lurker for bringing up this mental exercise:
Some of these will be simple answers and some diatribes.

1. Favorite wargaming period, and why? 
"...Paging Doctor Freud, Dr. Freud..."
Pikes. I like pikes. And early black powder weapons. Don't know why. I always liked those periods that are "in between" or transitional periods of history where commanders were trying to figure things out. Something about the scrum, the push of pike. Horses running around with guys that still think armor will protect them. Crossbows dueling against arquebus.
I will also say that I have no desire to actually be in battle of this period or any other.

2. Next period, money is no object? 
Dark Ages. Again, transitional period.

3. Favorite five films? 
Instead of a TOP 5, I have movies that I watch for different reasons.
When I'm sick and laying in bed: A Bridge Too Far
Rainy Day: Kingdom of Heaven:Director's Cut
Friday night: Friday night is always SciFi night at our house. Pick one.
Got 14 hours to kill: Lord of Rings Trilogy: Extended Versions (but always turn it off right when   Sam gets hitched)
When I'm painting: Waterloo. Not the greatest War movie, but has some great lines.

4. Favorite five TV series? 
We have one rule in our house about TV. No shows with laugh-tracks. Period. "But Dad, it tells us when things are funny and we should laugh." No. There's a great website that shows TV shows w/o the laughtracks. Shows how lame most are.
Justified
Breaking Bad
Sons of Anarchy
Game of Thrones
Firefly (hey, you didn't say it still had to be actually on TV right now)

5. Favorite book and author? 
"The Lies of Locke Lamorra" by Scott Lynch. Best revenge/caper that just happens to be fantasy novel ever written.
After that, anything Bernard Cornwell does.

6. Greatest general (yourself excluded)? 
John Churchill, First Duke of Marlborough. Took warfare from a Gentleman's game to modern warfare.

7. Favorite wargame rules? Mine own of course, but after that GASLIGHT. Then a whole slew. But, I have say I am definitely getting to a place where each favored period has a favored rule set now.

8. Favorite sport and team?
College Football. Especially Mizzou. Not because I went there, or any of my immediate family. But because the Chiefs suck, and they are (maybe not anymore by switching to the SEC) the arch rivals of the Jayhawks. Dirty, murdering Red Legs!


9. If you had a one-use time machine, when and where would you go? 
30-ish AD. Talk to JC and warn Him about the crap that's going to go down for the next 2000 years. Then ask Him for a miracle to get my butt back to 2012.

10. Last meal on death row? 
Chicken Fried Steak, mashed potatoes and gravy from from Stroud's, and my wife's coconut cream pie.

11. Fantasy relationship, and why? Deja Thoris. Or the girl from the cover of Star Frontiers box set. I could tell by the way she looked at my 13 year old self, we had a connection.

12. If your life were a movie, who would play you?
Ian McShane. He plays pissed off well.

13. Favorite comic superhero? 
As a kid, the Flash and Thor. Rebellious teen: Wolverine and Marshal Law. Old Man: Hellboy

14. Favorite military quote? 
My main man Nappy: "A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights."


15. Historical destination to visit? 
The Ancestral Home, wherever that is.


16. Biggest wargaming regret? 

Like a lot of people, I sold a bunch of lead from my early years. Wish I still had most of it.

17. Favorite fantasy job? 
Billionaire Playboy.


18. Favorite song, top five?

Much like movies, I have favorite songs for different times.
Currently:
Working out: Volbeat's Warrior's Call
Dancing with my wife: Chris Isaak's Big Wide Wonderful World
Just having fun: Red Hot Chili Pipers (Yes Pipers, not Peppers)
When I'm a bit in my cups: Metallica's version of Whiskey in the Jar
Driving in the Car: Any old school metal

19. Favorite wargaming moment?
After a brutal battle that left few survivors, my son agreed to a non aggression pact with the player to his right that had caused all of said casualties. There would be no fighting between them for the rest of game. He then turned to the player to his left and whispered, "hey, kill this guy would you?", pointing the player he had just made peace with. To quote Jabba, "ruthless and inventive. My kind of scum".


20. The "miserable git" question, what upsets you?

What's the old saying about assumptions and assuming?
I'm an artist/designer who likes comics, video games and playing with "army men". So let's start the assumptions.
Assumption 1- I'm an introvert who had a terrible high school experience, trouble talking to girls and was tortured by the jocks.
Reality: I was one of said jocks. I lettered 3 times and played football and ran track. I was the high school mascot and voted "Who's Who Senior". I edited the student newspaper, worked on the yearbook and still had time to date a cheerleader. 1988 was awesome.

Assumption 2- All my hobbies are a secret shame.
Reality: I've been wearing some sort of Comic T since forever at least once a week and still do. Fortunately I have a workplace where they say, "oh you know those artist types". My kids carry on the proud tradition.
For my birthday last year my wife bought me a full size metal Captain America shield. It hangs proudly in our living room. When we bought our new house there was a space probably where the previous owners had a pol table next to the bar. Without hesitation she said, "well here's where your gaming table will go".

Assumption 3: "You must really like Big Bang Theory" - see Question #4

Hope to see you at RECRUITS September 14th-16th. That is all.







7 comments:

MIK said...

That's how we put it to our realtor, we needed a "pool table" room. We don't own a pool table mind you, but a pool table room makes for the perfect game room.

Loved your answers, too many "likes" to say which specifically!

The Angry Lurker said...

Great answers especially 19. Baron!

BaronVonJ said...

Yes, my little Michiavelli.

Lead Addict said...

the Boy is a dirty dirty little man.

Laughing Ferret said...

Great answers!
I can understand Deja Thoris.. :)
All of your TV shows are ones very high on my watch list, and I have the same TV rule: no laugh tracks (except for old Monty Python's Flying Circus- the exception to the rule)- so often people asked/assumed I must like & watch Big Bang Theory, so i watched (well tried to watch) an episode- couldn't get through half -laugh tracks drive me crazy, I hate hearing tons of people crack up over something mildly amusing at best, just makes the whole thing stupid.

BaronVonJ said...

Lead Addict, shuddup and get back to painting Nappies.

Laughing Ferret, agreed. As much as that show has brought Geek culture into the light it has also helped reinforce stereotypes. Here's the show sans laugh track:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dffCCSb1JCo

Scottswargaming said...

Good answers, I enjoyed the read.